Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I went into a mosque with a friend the other day so that she could pray. I sat down and waited somewhat awkwardly while she performed her prayer, quietly praying under my breath because I didn't know what to do with myself...as I looked around at the huge ceilings with ornate patterns, I was torn between a strange feeling of peace and a strong sense of conflict in the spiritual realm. It was really quiet and cool, and relatively empty of people, but imagine when it's full of devoted muslims on their face in prayer, what is really going on there in the spirit? Is the Holy Spirit there, duking it out with the forces of darkness?

I almost got this sense that it was empty of the Lord's presence up until the moment I took off my shoes and tiptoed in, and then I asked Him to come, fill the place, surround us with His loving kindness and touch my friend's life.

and I wondered...can I even spend time communing with the Lord in a place of false worship?

4 comments:

Helen Ernst said...

We know that we are of God and that the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one. 1 John 5:19 (New King James)

There's no where to run, nowhere to hide except in Jesus, who has left us in the world, but not of the world.

KATEE said...

interesting... Bekah this makes me think "though that is a religious place of false worship are we not in places of false worship in other times and places?" and if so, what do we do with that?
It almost seems like the fight spiritually is too intense to move beyond the battle and into that sweet communion, though it's still communion... Bekah love you!!!

Aubrey said...

God tore the vail so we could worship and talk to Jesus whenever and whereever we want!

bala7 said...

mom-yes yes yes! darkness really is everywhere isn't it...only refuge we have is Jesus. :)

katie-i identify with what you said about not being able to get past the spritual fight into the sweet communion.

and you're right, places of false worship are not defined by religious institutions, or any man-made walls necessarily.

Boo-amen!

thanks for your thoughts guys